Where Does Fat Go When We Lose Weight? | Modius Health

where does fat go when you lose weight

It seems that everyone is talking about diet, exercise and fat loss these days. Personal health has been skyrocketed into the mainstream by social media, T.V and the internet in recent years, and it is the hot topic on everybody's lips.  

Where does fat go when you lose weight? 

Most of us would like to Shed a few pounds and see a few inches come off the waistline, but where does fat go when you lose weight? In a recent study, most health professions ranging from personal trainers to doctors essentially had no clue what so ever.  

how does fat leave the body in weight loss

In a world full of health-related misconceptions being granted as fact, it's not hard to see why. Only 2% of the 150 professionals could explain what happens to fat when you lose weight.

Most people believe that fat is converted into energy through movement and exercise, others seem to think that fat is converted into muscle. Both of these theories are both impossible and simply not true.  

In actual fact, fat is expelled from the body through carbon dioxide and H2O. This means that fat is leaving your body in every breath, every drop of urine and every bead of sweat. who would of thought?  

Where does the fat go first?  

So when you lose weight, where does the fat go first? Almost everything that we put into our body is metabolised into energy, this essentially keeps our bodies functioning.  

when you lose weight where does fat go first

Once protein, fat and carbohydrates are metabolised, around 80% is converted into carbon dioxide which is expelled through the lungs, and the remaining 20% is converted into water, which leaves the body through places such as the bladder, sweat glands and you tear ducts. Anything that's leftover, including dietary fibre and cellulose, goes down the toilet.  

How does fat leave the body?  

People often ask, how does fat leave the body through weight loss? Firstly weight loss and fat loss are two different things. Weight loss is the reduction of body weight through any means. Losing muscle mass, reducing water weight and even cutting your hair all contribute to reducing your bodies weight.  

Fat loss, on the other hand, is specifically what the name suggests, the loss of fat. Losing fat does usually lead to weight loss also, so there is a correlation between the two. Measuring your body fat percentage regularly is a far more accurate way of monitoring fat loss as opposed to stepping on the scales.  

If fat mostly leaves the body through breathing, can you just breath more and see results? Unfortunately not. The only way to increase fat loss is to metabolise more than what you consume.  

Say your average daily diet consists of enough calories that once metabolised produces 800g of carbon dioxide and water every day. But your base metabolism only functions at a rate the can produce 600g a day, there would be a 200g deficit. This deficit has got to go somewhere, so any fat that is left behind is stored as fat deposits which can be converted later, as and when needed.

what happens to fat when you lose weight

To maintain body fat there can be no deficit, so the amount of calories consumed has to equal the amount your body can metabolise. To lose fat your body needs to be metabolising more then what you are consuming. This can only be done through either consuming less calories or by increasing your metabolic rate.  

When you consume less calories than what your body needs for energy, your body has to turn to its fat and muscle stores to keep itself going. By metabolising your bodies own fat sores, body fat is reduced.  

Fat leaves the body by requiring more energy to be metabolised then what is consumed.  

To increase your metabolic rate you can adjust the foods you eat, exercise more, and increase your muscle mass. By keeping active you are forcing your body to produce more energy that keeps you functioning.